Enhanced TPB-3rd phase biorefinery lactic acid and amino acid generation and recovery.
The “Green Biorefinery” process – initially developed in TUW and TBW to receive lactic acid and amino acids from grass silage press liquor – shall be improved by specific analytics of the grass-silage leachates, by optimising downstream AA and LA purification processes including membrane separation (ultrafiltration, nanofiltration, electrodialysis, diafiltration concepts) and chromatographic separation, and by the implementation of novel technologies that could significantly increase cost effectiveness and product quality.
Initially based in TUW and under the supervision of Prof. Harasek with input from Mr. Mandl (TBW), the successful candidate will:
- Operate lab-scale separation equipment to identify key process parameters (ultrafiltration, nanofiltration / electrodialysis for LA, nanofiltration and chromato-graphic process for AAs),
- Derive and implement an ASPEN process simulation toolbox of the downstream process,
- Find new and optimise current downstream processing strategies through process simulation with regard to product quality, resource and energy efficiency,
- Get trained at UCD for 3 months under the supervision of Prof. Murphy on both biosensor operation and contaminant removal processes,
- Move to Innolab (Belgium) under the supervision of Mr. Willems to receive an understanding of their expansive analytical and AD simulation technologies.